This Policy notifies you of:
- what personally identifiable information of yours is collected from you through our Sites,
- the organization(s) collecting the information,
- how the information is used,
- with whom the information may be shared,
- what choices are available to you regarding collection, use and distribution of the information,
- the kind of procedures we employ in an effort to hinder the unauthorized access, deletion, alteration, use or disclosure of information you provide to us or on any Site, and
- how you can correct any inaccuracies in the information you provide to us.
By using any of the Sites, you agree to be bound by all terms in this Policy, so please review it carefully in advance of using it or disclosing any information on any Site. If you disagree with this Policy in any way, please do not use any of the Sites and please contact us to tell us why. When you provide information about other individuals (e.g., for colleagues, co-workers, friends, etc.) on any of our Sites, you must ensure that you are entitled to provide this information to us.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE AT THIS WEBSITE
Kilpatrick Townsend collects the following types of information when you use our Sites:
- “Personally Identifiable Information” (or “PII“). Kilpatrick Townsend collects certain PII such as name, email address, postal address and telephone number. We do not knowingly collect sensitive PII, such as information about medical or health conditions. We do not collect any PII about you on our Sites unless you choose to provide it to us voluntarily.
- “Site Usage Data” and Use of “Cookies”. When you visit our Sites, we and third parties with whom we have contracted to provide services to Kilpatrick Townsend may collect “Site Usage Data”, which is non-PII relating to your use of our Sites, such as what Site pages you visit. The Site Usage Data could include your MAC address, operating system version, type of computer and browser type. Such data could also include demographic data, such as a Site visitor’s geographic location. To enhance your experience on our Sites, we and our service providers may use “cookies” on our Sites.
A “cookie” is a piece of information which a web server may place on your computer when you visit a website. Cookies are commonly used by websites to improve the user experience and have not been known to transmit computer viruses or otherwise harm your computer. Many cookies last only through a single website session, or visit. Others may have an expiration date, or may remain on your computer until you delete them.
You can decide if and how your computer will accept a cookie by configuring your preferences or options in your browser. However, if you choose to reject cookies, you may not be able to use certain online products and services offered on the Sites or certain features of our Sites.
Kilpatrick Townsend may occasionally use other companies to set cookies on our Sites and gather Site Usage Data for Kilpatrick Townsend. In some cases, Kilpatrick Townsend may also use another company to operate web servers for our Sites. Kilpatrick Townsend uses the cookie information gathered by these companies in the same manner as stated in this Policy.
- “IP Addresses“. When you visit and interact with any of the Sites, Kilpatrick Townsend and third parties with whom we have contracted to provide services for us may collect Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses (each an “IP Address”). An IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (“ISP”). Your IP Address is identified and logged automatically whenever you visit the Sites, along with the time(s) of your visit(s), your geographic location and the page(s) that you visited. Kilpatrick Townsend uses this information to determine the locations of our Site visitors to better understand from where our visitors come. Kilpatrick Townsend also may use this information to enhance our Sites or for other lawful purposes.
Certain pages on our Sites contain “web beacons” (also known as Internet tags, pixel tags and clear GIFs). These web beacons allow third parties to obtain information such as the IP Address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies set by the third party.
How We Use AND DISCLOSE YOUR Information
- Personally Identifiable Information or PII. If you do provide Kilpatrick Townsend with PII, Kilpatrick Townsend will only use it for the purposes described where it is collected or to aggregate data in a manner that does not identify you or your company, and Kilpatrick Townsend will not sell, license, transmit or disclose this information outside of Kilpatrick Townsend or its affiliates unless (1) you expressly authorize Kilpatrick Townsend or an affiliate to do so, (2) it is necessary to allow Kilpatrick Townsend’s and its affiliates’ trusted service providers or agents to provide services for Kilpatrick Townsend and its affiliates, (3) in order to provide Kilpatrick Townsend or an affiliate’s products or Services to you, (4) it is disclosed to entities that perform marketing or data aggregation services on Kilpatrick Townsend’s or its affiliates’ behalf, or with which Kilpatrick Townsend or an affiliate has joint marketing arrangements, (5) it is necessary in connection with a sale of all or substantially all of the assets of Kilpatrick Townsend or an affiliate or the merger of Kilpatrick Townsend or an affiliate into another entity or any consolidation, share exchange, combination, reorganization, or like transaction in which Kilpatrick Townsend or such affiliate is not the survivor, or (6) otherwise as Kilpatrick Townsend or an affiliate is required or permitted to do so for any or all of the following reasons: (i) by law; (ii) to comply with legal process or respond to requests from governmental or public authorities; (iii) to prevent, investigate, detect, or prosecute criminal offenses or attacks on the technical integrity of the Sites or our network; and/or (iv) to protect the rights, privacy, property, business, or safety of Kilpatrick Townsend and its affiliates, their partners and employees, the users of the Sites, or the public.
Kilpatrick Townsend may also use PII in the following ways:
- Administrative Communications. We may send you important administrative or transactional information regarding the Sites. Because this information may be important to you, you may not “opt out” of receiving these communications.
- Responding to Your Requests. We process PII to comply with your requests, respond to your inquiries, and send you newsletters or publications that you request. If you contact us by email through the Sites, we may keep a record of your contact information and correspondence, and use it to respond to you.
- Other Communications. We may use PII about you to send you our legal updates and mailings relating to Kilpatrick Townsend or affiliate seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you, in accordance with applicable law. If you no longer wish to receive such mailings from us, please refer to the paragraph below, headed “Opting Out.” Please note that some of these mailings may be provided by our affiliates.
- Internal Business Purposes. We may also use PII about you for our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, and other similar purposes.
- Services. In addition to the purposes mentioned above, we may use PII for the purposes of providing legal and related services, including the provision of seminars and other events (“Services”).
- Site Usage Data. Because Site Usage Data does not personally identify a Site visitor, we may use such information for any lawful purpose. In addition, we reserve the right to share such Site Usage Data, which does not constitute PII, with third parties, for any purpose. As an example, we may use aggregated Site Usage Data to help us improve our Sites and the Services that we provide through our Sites. Please note that to the extent any Site Usage Data is linked with PII, such linked information will be treated as PII as long as it is linked.
Third Party WEBSITES AND WEBINAR NOTICE
- Third Party Websites. For your convenience, we may provide links to other websites and web pages that we do not control. We cannot be responsible for the privacy practices of any websites or pages not under our control, and we do not endorse any of these websites or pages, the services or products described or offered on such sites or pages, or any of the content contained on those sites or pages. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POLICY DOES NOT ADDRESS THE PRIVACY OR INFORMATION PRACTICES OF ANY THIRD PARTY WEBSITES OR THIRD PARTIES.
- Special Notification About Webinars . Webinars offered as a service to users of our Sites are hosted by unaffiliated third party vendors, and not by Kilpatrick Townsend. Our third party vendors require users to provide PII, such as name, company, and email address. Users seeking continuing legal education credit also may be asked to provide their State Bar number(s). We encourage you to read the privacy statements of our vendors, which control how such vendors handle PII provided by you to register for the Webinars. Additionally, our third party vendors provide us with PII about users of our Webinars. We use this information to track attendance, facilitate future communication with such users, and for other purposes set forth in this Policy.
Your Choices ABOUT YOUR INFORMATION
- Opting Out. We may from time to time send you legal updates and mailings relating to Kilpatrick Townsend seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive marketing mailings from us, you may unsubscribe from these marketing mailings by following the unsubscribe instructions in any such message or click here to contact us by email. Your email address will be removed from our marketing list. Please allow us a reasonable period of time in order to satisfy your request, as some promotions may already be in process.
- Access. If PII you have submitted through any of the Sites is no longer accurate, current, or complete, and you wish to update it, please click here to email us. Upon appropriate request, we will usually be glad to update or amend your information, but we reserve the right to use information obtained previously to verify your identity or take other actions that we believe are appropriate and lawful. Furthermore, you may also oppose the processing or transferring of your PII to the extent the laws of your country of residence require you to have a legitimate reason to do so. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed from such locations. We may, from time to time, reach out to former users of the Sites. Lastly, we are not responsible for removing or deleting information from the databases of third parties (such as service providers) with whom we have shared PII about you.
GENERAL NOTICES ABOUT OUR SITES
- Special Notification for Individual California Users. As noted above, we may disclose PII to affiliates of Kilpatrick Townsend, which may use this information for all purposes outlined in this policy. Because separate legal entities are considered “third parties” for purposes of California Civil Code Section 1798.83, and certain communications from our affiliates might be viewed as promoting their legal services, we are providing the following information for California residents who have provided us with PII about themselves during the creation of or during the course of an established legal services relationship that is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes (“Individual California Users”). Individual California Users may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of PII to third parties (i.e., other legal entities of Kilpatrick Townsend) for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us either by email ( please click here to email us) or by mail at the following address:
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
Director of Marketing
1100 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of PII disclosed to third parties (i.e., other legal entities of Kilpatrick Townsend) for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or mailing addresses specified in this section.
- Connecticut Privacy Protection Notice. If collected, we will take reasonable measures to protect the confidentiality of Social Security numbers and limit access to those with a need for such information. We prohibit the unlawful disclosure of Social Security numbers.
- Security and Confidentiality. Kilpatrick Townsend restricts access to PII collected about you and information collected about your company, if applicable, at our Sites to Kilpatrick Townsend employees, its affiliates’ employees, or others who need to know that information to provide services to you or in the course of conducting Kilpatrick Townsend normal business operations. While no website can guarantee security, Kilpatrick Townsend maintains appropriate physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your PII and your company’s information, if applicable, collected on our Sites. Kilpatrick Townsend protects its databases with various physical, technical and procedural measures and we restrict access to such PII by unauthorized persons. Kilpatrick Townsend also advises all Kilpatrick Townsend and affiliate employees about their responsibility to protect PII and Kilpatrick Townsend provides them with appropriate guidelines for adhering to Kilpatrick Townsend business ethics standards and confidentiality policies. Kilpatrick Townsend does not guarantee that any information you provide will not be intercepted by a third party during transmission over any public networks or otherwise. You bear the risk of communicating with us electronically and we are not responsible for any resulting loss or damage.
- Use of the Sites by Children under 13. We are strongly committed to preserving online privacy for all of visitors of our Sites, including children. Our Sites are general audience websites, and we do not knowingly collect information about children or provide Services to children. Consistent with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, we will not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13.
- Retention Period. Unless otherwise required by applicable law, regulations or standards, we will retain PII about you for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes described in this Policy or on our Sites.
- Geographic Limitations; Use of the Sites outside of the US. We do not represent or warrant that the Sites, or any part thereof, are appropriate or available for use in any particular geographic location. If you choose to access our Sites, you do so on your own initiative and at your own risk, and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules, and regulations applicable in your jurisdiction. We reserve the right to limit the Sites’ availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area, or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored or processed in the United States, where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, but please be assured that we take steps to protect your privacy. By using our Services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
If you have any questions regarding the Policy, please click here to email us or by letter to Susan Cahoon, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP, Suite 2800, 1100 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309. Please note that email communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly you should not include social security number, credit card information or other sensitive information in your email correspondence with us. Furthermore, note that such communications are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship and our Sites are not intended to be a solicitation or to render legal advice.
Effective Date of This Policy